Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Defining geometry of microsprings in MEMS

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to model the capacitor based micro trampoline as mentioned in the paper that I have attached.

I'll briefly summarize the design. It consists of two capacitor plates, one fixed and the other mobile. The fixed plate is mounted on four springs, made out of a serpentile shape (one rod, zigzagging, that is, goes right, down, left, down, right and so on.). The mobile spring plate has four supports that help avoiding adhesion to the fixed plate.

My question is, after loading a standard capacitor model, how do I go about adding the four supports to the mobile plate geometry? Also, What should be the steps to draw the serpentile geometry of the spring? How do I couple it with the capacitor geometry and physics?

Also, what Physics studies should be used for making the springs behave like a Spring? Stress/Strain?

1 Reply Last Post May 5, 2011, 2:25 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 5, 2011, 2:25 p.m. EDT
Also, can I import the capacitors from the accelerometer 3D model in the model library?
Also, can I import the capacitors from the accelerometer 3D model in the model library?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.