Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

assigning volumatric shrinkage as initial stress/strain condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a simple structure consisting of two layers. One layer undergoes volumetric shrinkage. The goal is to find residual stress due to this shrinkage. I would like to assign volumetric shrinkage as initial stress/strain condition between these two layers. I would appreciate if one can tell me how to do that in comsol 4?

Regards,
Susant

4 Replies Last Post May 9, 2011, 2:46 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 7, 2011, 6:46 a.m. EDT
Hi

Have you checked the Model library Thermal structure interaction Layered plate model, I believe that is the most proper way to do it, as correct tensor values for initial stress-strain are not that obvious to define

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Have you checked the Model library Thermal structure interaction Layered plate model, I believe that is the most proper way to do it, as correct tensor values for initial stress-strain are not that obvious to define -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 1:23 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your reply. In my problem, the volume shrinkage is assumed to take place due to chemical reaction at room temperature i.e. there is no stress free temperature associated with it. The system is at room temperature.

Regards,
Susant
Hi Ivan, Thanks for your reply. In my problem, the volume shrinkage is assumed to take place due to chemical reaction at room temperature i.e. there is no stress free temperature associated with it. The system is at room temperature. Regards, Susant

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 1:25 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Sorry about mispronouncing your name.

Regards,
Susant
Hi Ivar, Sorry about mispronouncing your name. Regards, Susant

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 2:46 p.m. EDT
Hi Suant

I agree you do not need T changes, other physical phenomena that are libnked to stress buildup could be used the same way, It's "just" thatCOMSOL example is for T, but it can be adapted to any other relevant process.

My remark comes from the fact that I have never really managed to sort out the correct tensor values to give to the stress strain cases for initial loading, when we talk of anisotropic or non linear materials, I find it much easier to load udner "realistic" conditions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Suant I agree you do not need T changes, other physical phenomena that are libnked to stress buildup could be used the same way, It's "just" thatCOMSOL example is for T, but it can be adapted to any other relevant process. My remark comes from the fact that I have never really managed to sort out the correct tensor values to give to the stress strain cases for initial loading, when we talk of anisotropic or non linear materials, I find it much easier to load udner "realistic" conditions -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.