Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating a 3D velocity profile

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,

Thanks for the previous reply and do appreciate it a lot.
Currently, I would like to plot a velocity profile for newtonian fluid which is in 3-D ( which means I want a diagram with 3 axis and show a U-curve-laminar flow)

Actually, what should I do for the settings to create 3-D velocity profile? I do know there is a 3D-cut line setting to show a 1-D curve of velocity magnitude, but I have no idea for 3-D curve.

Please find the attached file for your reference.

Looking forward to Hearing from you.

Thanks.

4 Replies Last Post May 9, 2011, 1:02 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 3:39 a.m. EDT
Hi

if I understand you well you got a line curve (in 2 dimensions) from a cut line,
so for me if you follow the same logic, by using a cut surface you will get a surface plot "with height" (in 3 dimensions)

no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if I understand you well you got a line curve (in 2 dimensions) from a cut line, so for me if you follow the same logic, by using a cut surface you will get a surface plot "with height" (in 3 dimensions) no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 4:02 a.m. EDT
Hi, Ivar

Morning and thanks in advance for your prompt responce.

OK, as your said,

First, I right click on the data sheet and choose to add the "surface" and select the desired boundary.
After that, I right click on the 3D plot group and I choose to add the "surface". However, It does not show me the diagram with height but only a flat surface. Is it any setting i did wrongly? Or should I not to click the surface but others?

Sorry if I make any mistake.

Best Regards,
Voon Loong
Hi, Ivar Morning and thanks in advance for your prompt responce. OK, as your said, First, I right click on the data sheet and choose to add the "surface" and select the desired boundary. After that, I right click on the 3D plot group and I choose to add the "surface". However, It does not show me the diagram with height but only a flat surface. Is it any setting i did wrongly? Or should I not to click the surface but others? Sorry if I make any mistake. Best Regards, Voon Loong

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 5:35 a.m. EDT
Hi

for a surface selected in the data set you need to add a 2D surface plot group (check that it points to the newly created data set) and then a surface plot node where you define your variable(s) and then right click this surface node and add a "heigth view" option

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for a surface selected in the data set you need to add a 2D surface plot group (check that it points to the newly created data set) and then a surface plot node where you define your variable(s) and then right click this surface node and add a "heigth view" option -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 1:02 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

A lot thanks to you!!
Its helps!

Best Regards,
Voon Loong
Hi Ivar, A lot thanks to you!! Its helps! Best Regards, Voon Loong

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.