Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ACTIVE CONTACT SURFACES

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I´m trying to model a concact mechanic proble with COMSOL 4.1.

The initial geometry consists on a circle that lies on a rectangle (therefore the concact between the two surfaces is a point) . The circle is much softer that the substratum and tends to bind it (with a certain force). I would like to define an area that sorrounds the boundary of the sphere and the substratum in such a way that all the points that belong to this area become in contact with the force mentioned above.

I attached three files:

1) in the first one you have the geometry that I want to start with.
2) in the second one you have a snapshot that wants just to point out that the initial concact beetween the surfaces is just a point.
3) the third one is approximately what I expect as a solution.

The problem should be dynamic (time dependent) and to do this I would like to define a function that depends on the distance between a point on the sphere and a corrispective point on the rectangle and that has as output a force. This force, applied on each point on the boundaries of the sphere, should approach the sphere to the rectangle.

The volume of the sphere has to reamin constant.

the function has to be a decreasing function of the distance between the surfaces in such a way that points to far away from the rectangle don´t go in concact.

To have feeling on what I´m trying to model I will say that:

the sphere is a cell
the rectangle is a substrate
The substrate has these linear mechanical properties:

Young modulus 14 KPa
Poisson´s ratio 0.49
density 1000 K/m^3

the cell has an hyperelastic behavior, you can use neo Hookean equation (incompressible behavior) to model it with a shear moduls of 1.67 KPa and a bulk modulus 100 times bigger

How should I start to model this, cheers

Giulio

0 Replies Last Post May 11, 2011, 5:50 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Giulio Ferrazzi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.