Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Prescribing displacements in time dependent analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I am trying to generate guided modes in a 2D model (representing a cross-section of the plate) using a time dependent analysis. To generate a symmetric wave mode I give the axial displacement on the corners of the side of the plate (excitation is purely symmetric). Meshing has been performed so that there are more than 15 elements per wave length of the propagating mode. The tone burst has been described with the expression 0.5[m]*(1-cos(2*pi*162.5e3*t/20))*sin(2*pi*162.5e3[Hz]*t)*(t<122e-6[s]). I ran the model and monitor the excitation point (I measured the the normal displacement of plate). I observed two problems. I could see that some additional waves have been generated after 122e-6s which should not be there. The results are very dependant on the amplitude of toneburst, by changing for example 0.5[m] to 0.5e-6[m] makes the results meaningless, although the second amplitude should be closser to the real value. What could be the issues?

Thank you for help

0 Replies Last Post May 13, 2011, 5:08 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Madis Ratassepp

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.