Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Temperature dependent variables - Circular variable dependency detected.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello folks,

I would like to define some temperature-dependent variables in my model. I defined them under "Global definitions - variables". So Comsol shall calculate for each time step the variable with the current temperature.
For example:

Name: E
Expression: 500*T - 200 [Pa]

I thought, that Comsol know that he has to use the temperature for "T", but I got an error message:

Circular variable dependency detected.
- Variable: T
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 1

Can anyone help me?

Greetings.

3 Replies Last Post Jun 22, 2011, 9:47 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 18, 2011, 10:25 p.m. EDT
Hi,

Try this:

(500*mod1.T[1/K]-200)[Pa]

[1/K] is there to cancel the units of temperature.

Hi, Try this: (500*mod1.T[1/K]-200)[Pa] [1/K] is there to cancel the units of temperature.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 19, 2011, 3:08 a.m. EDT
Thx, thats it. :)
Thx, thats it. :)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 22, 2011, 9:47 p.m. EDT
Hi,

Since you are defining a global variable, you should point to the model to which it belongs. In your case, T is the dependent variable for model 1 (your only model I presume), that is why calling this variable requires: mod1.T, where mod1 is your model's identifier.

If the same variable is used in a subdomain field (variables under model 1), you could ommit the pointer mod1 and just use the variable T

Regards
--
Ali
Hi, Since you are defining a global variable, you should point to the model to which it belongs. In your case, T is the dependent variable for model 1 (your only model I presume), that is why calling this variable requires: mod1.T, where mod1 is your model's identifier. If the same variable is used in a subdomain field (variables under model 1), you could ommit the pointer mod1 and just use the variable T Regards -- Ali

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.