Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotation, Rheological model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate fluid flow in a pipe but I have two problems. I appreciate if anybody give me some hint:

1. I just see three rheological models available in COMSOL: Newtonian, Carreau, and Power law. So how is it possible to simulate another rheological models such as Herschel_ Bulkley, etc?

2. I dont see an option in COMSOL( although it is in the help) to simulation rotation of a pipe. In the options for wall boundary conditions, there is no such capability.

Thanks,

1 Reply Last Post May 25, 2011, 8:02 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 25, 2011, 8:02 a.m. EDT
Hi,
Herschel_ Bulkley is a rheological model with a yield stress. Below the yield stress the material behaves like a solid and above the yield stress the material behaves like a fluid. So you have a stress dependent phase transsition and the solid state (the relation between stress and strain) is not defined in Herschel_ Bulkley.
I guess, you have to build a workaround.

For modeling of rotating walls see the tutorial "dense suspension".

greetings
Uwe
Hi, Herschel_ Bulkley is a rheological model with a yield stress. Below the yield stress the material behaves like a solid and above the yield stress the material behaves like a fluid. So you have a stress dependent phase transsition and the solid state (the relation between stress and strain) is not defined in Herschel_ Bulkley. I guess, you have to build a workaround. For modeling of rotating walls see the tutorial "dense suspension". greetings Uwe

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.