Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solid Mechanics 3D Model: Uniform pressure load in Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I have a 3D model which I have completed a heat transfer analysis upon. It is a vacuum flange/optical taper/expansion ring assembly.

The expansion ring provides flexure to accommodate differential thermal expansion between the stainless steel flange and the fiber optic taper. One end of the taper is held at a constant flux corresponding to ~-20C while the rest of the body is initially at ambient. I have attached a slice from the 3D model showing the temperature distribution and deflection (500X scale). You can see the X-section of the expansion ring and the exaggerated flexure.

Next I wished to estimate the deflection of the expansion ring and taper as the pressure is reduce on the vacuum side. It will be at ultra high vacuum (i.e., 10E-9 Torr) and the negative pressure will "pull" upon all the exposed surfaces due to the vacuum. This is what I wish to model.

I simply don't see how I can most simply apply this condition to the exposed surfaces on the vacuum side of the flange. A body load doesn't seem quite right (wrong units for one thing). A total force doesn't seem appropriate either. I suspect this must be very easy, but I am missing it.

Thanks for the input!

Regards,
Ed

1 Reply Last Post May 19, 2011, 4:18 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 19, 2011, 4:18 p.m. EDT
OK, I just found the "Boundary Load" condition. I think that should do nicely.
OK, I just found the "Boundary Load" condition. I think that should do nicely.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.