Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Real-world capacitance with partially conductive materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all, I have made a 3D open-plate co-planar capacitor model using the tutorials mentioned. However, one thing that is not agreeing with the simulation is this:

If your material is partially conductive, as all real materials, then the electrostaic simulation is not fully correct. Electrostatic simulation in Comsol assumes all surfaces are perfect conductors or isolators (typical for all cap simulations).

To reproduce the reality, you need assign conductive properties to each material (conductive as well and isolating). This means that the ohmic effect will cause a potential difference to develop over all surface (both insulating and conductive, as these are only first order approximations). This changes things significantly depending on the required accuracy.

How would I achieve this? I looked into the tutorial about capacitors and I saw something that mentioned an insulating and conducting field and how the 2 converge etc. But I've not been able to reproduce it. ANy help would be appreciated.

1 Reply Last Post Jul 23, 2018, 2:34 a.m. EDT
Yara Soares COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Jul 23, 2018, 2:34 a.m. EDT

Dear Richeek,

Thank you for positing your question. I have noticed that you didn't receive an answer yet. If you have access to a license on subscription, I would like to suggest sending an email to support@comsol.com for a swift response.

Met vriendelijke groet, Best regards,

Yara Soares

COMSOL BV | Röntgenlaan 37 | 2719 DX Zoetermeer Phone: +31 (0)79 363 4230 | Fax: +31 (0)79 361 4212

www.comsol.nl | yara.soares@comsol.com

Dear Richeek, Thank you for positing your question. I have noticed that you didn't receive an answer yet. If you have access to a license on subscription, I would like to suggest sending an email to support@comsol.com for a swift response. Met vriendelijke groet, Best regards, Yara Soares -------------------------------------------------------------------------- COMSOL BV | Röntgenlaan 37 | 2719 DX Zoetermeer Phone: +31 (0)79 363 4230 | Fax: +31 (0)79 361 4212 www.comsol.nl | yara.soares@comsol.com -----------------------------------------------------

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.