Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inviscid Flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to model a 2d inviscid flow in comsol v4.1, but when I set Dynamic viscosity=0 , I have some convergence problem.

It can be solved by using full Navier-Stokes Equations, but when I set the dynamic viscosity to zero, it does not converge.

should I use lower value instead of Zero?

what is the classic way of modeling the inviscid flow in COMSOL?

best

3 Replies Last Post Feb 26, 2014, 1:38 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago May 24, 2011, 12:27 p.m. EDT
any suggestion ?>?
any suggestion ?>?

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 26, 2014, 9:29 a.m. EST
Hi, I have the same problem. Could you solve your problem?
Hi, I have the same problem. Could you solve your problem?

Eric Favre COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 26, 2014, 1:38 p.m. EST
Hello,

Inviscid fluid is often (but not always) associated with irrotational flow theory.
If this applies to you, this is pretty straightforward in COMSOL :
since the flow is irrotational, you can write
u = grad (phi) (u derives from a potential phi).
together with mass conservation div (u) = 0
implies
laplacian (phi) = 0 (Laplace equation in COMSOL).
You only need to derive phi wrt space to get the velocity component.
Do not forget to think about the boundary conditions : a condition on u or v writes into a Neumann boundary condition for phi where you imposes n.grad (phi) = for instance d(phi)/dx = u along a vertical boundary.

Good luck,

Eric Favre
Hello, Inviscid fluid is often (but not always) associated with irrotational flow theory. If this applies to you, this is pretty straightforward in COMSOL : since the flow is irrotational, you can write u = grad (phi) (u derives from a potential phi). together with mass conservation div (u) = 0 implies laplacian (phi) = 0 (Laplace equation in COMSOL). You only need to derive phi wrt space to get the velocity component. Do not forget to think about the boundary conditions : a condition on u or v writes into a Neumann boundary condition for phi where you imposes n.grad (phi) = for instance d(phi)/dx = u along a vertical boundary. Good luck, Eric Favre

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.