Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Where do I find a documented list of all physical quantities for my model?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi COMSOL users,

I recently started to use COMSOL to solve a simple electrostatic problem and now I am dealing with the output of the simulation.

I hope you will share with me your solution to the following paradox:

After browsing/searching through the

-COMSOL Multiphysics USers guide
-COMSOL Multiphysics Reference guide
-COMSOL Multiphysics API guide
-AC/DC module API guide

I still have not found a documented list with the physical quantities that I can plot/access after solving.

When I create a plot or derive a value from the results the GUI gives me a menu from which I can choose quantities to build a user defined expression. ie plot es.We for electric energy density plot

But I wonder: where are these quantities defined in detail? Are there more available than the one listed by the GUI?

What I mean is: Why does the expression es.We for the electric energy density (for example) seemingly does not appear once in any of the manuals?
I can guess that E stands for the electric field, but for another topic it might not be obvious to me which are the quantities which can be plotted after computation (strain, stress, temperature, and so on...)

I know the user guide contains the physical equations, but it is not so obvious to guess that es.We is the electric energy density for example.

Many many thanks,
james

0 Replies Last Post Jun 28, 2011, 11:54 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello James Rund

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.