Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Voltage dependent resistor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to calculate the current at a resistor (a simple cylindrical volume) whose conductivity dependents on the applied voltage, the simulation should be time dependent. To prevent circular relations I think it is necessary to compute the voltage first and after that calculate the conductivity for the next time step. Is that thought right?

Could someone tell me how I could realize such a stepwise calculation?

Best regards
Sebastian

PS I'm using Comsol 4.2

4 Replies Last Post Jul 6, 2011, 10:11 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 5, 2011, 11:14 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I think it should be possible to directly use a conductivity term which is a function of the voltage (or a function of electrical field strength) without doing it stepwise.

Cheers
Edgar

Hi, I think it should be possible to directly use a conductivity term which is a function of the voltage (or a function of electrical field strength) without doing it stepwise. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 6, 2011, 3:12 a.m. EDT
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your quick response, I've already tried your suggestion but unfortunately it doesn’t work, I only get an error-message (“undefined value found”). I think that message occurs because the voltage cannot be calculated without the conductivity and vice versa. I don’t know if there is a possibility to circumvent this problem apart from the stepwise calculation. But I'm always open to suggestions.

Best regards
Sebastian
Hi Edgar, Thanks for your quick response, I've already tried your suggestion but unfortunately it doesn’t work, I only get an error-message (“undefined value found”). I think that message occurs because the voltage cannot be calculated without the conductivity and vice versa. I don’t know if there is a possibility to circumvent this problem apart from the stepwise calculation. But I'm always open to suggestions. Best regards Sebastian

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 6, 2011, 3:37 a.m. EDT
Sebastian,

I think you need to define an initial value for the voltage or define it by a boundary condition or a port. And the conductivity must be defined as a function of voltage for the whole range of voltages that can happen.

Cheers
Edgar
Sebastian, I think you need to define an initial value for the voltage or define it by a boundary condition or a port. And the conductivity must be defined as a function of voltage for the whole range of voltages that can happen. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 6, 2011, 10:11 a.m. EDT
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your support, I completed the simulation successfully.

Best regards
Sebastian
Hi Edgar, Thanks for your support, I completed the simulation successfully. Best regards Sebastian

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.