Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to define the boundaries in a sectioned MEMS-model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have difficulties to set the right constraints to some boundaries of my MEMS model. As the the whole device is too big (some millimeter) to simulate, I modeled only a small section (roughly 150µm). The model consists of a chip and a coated MEMS torsion beam that operates at elevated temperature (>100°C).
If I apply "fixed constrained" to the boundaries where the chip material would continue in a not sectioned model, than I get additional thermal stress in the edges. Same applies to the "rigid connector" used at the end of the torsion beam.

How to set the boundary conditions to eliminate these artifacts? Is there something like infinite material or continuity for exterior boundaries?

And which properties should I use for heat transfer through the boundaries where the chip material would continue in a not sectioned model?

Thanks you.
Jürgen

0 Replies Last Post Jul 7, 2011, 10:52 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jürgen Gluch

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.