Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol 4.2 and Mac 10.7 lion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Has anyone updated to the Mac 10.7 lion version of the Apple operating system and used Comsol?

I'd like to know before updating.

Thanks, in advance for any info about success or challenges.

19 Replies Last Post Jul 27, 2011, 5:33 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 21, 2011, 9:20 p.m. EDT
It is not working for me!
It is not working for me!

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 21, 2011, 11:33 p.m. EDT
Don't work!

I just updated the lion yesterday. Most other softwares work, but Comsol not.

Hope they could fix it soon.
Don't work! I just updated the lion yesterday. Most other softwares work, but Comsol not. Hope they could fix it soon.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2011, 12:46 a.m. EDT
I stupidly thought the transition would go fine, as any other software currently installed on my computer. But NO I have to finish a really important simulation now, and Comsol is not working. I guess it's caused by a java error. Please fix this problem asap.
I stupidly thought the transition would go fine, as any other software currently installed on my computer. But NO I have to finish a really important simulation now, and Comsol is not working. I guess it's caused by a java error. Please fix this problem asap.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2011, 7:05 a.m. EDT
Don't work for me either
a bunch of Java errors in the log.

Had to go back to 10.6.8 and will stay there until comsol issue an update.
Don't work for me either a bunch of Java errors in the log. Had to go back to 10.6.8 and will stay there until comsol issue an update.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2011, 9:46 a.m. EDT
Right there with you. It's not working, and I even tried doing a repair install. And I know I have the most recent Java as well. This is kind of disappointing. COMSOL 4.2 throws the error and spits out a log. COMSOL 4.1 just disappears mysteriously... Looks like Update 3 should be on its merry way for COMSOL 4.2
Right there with you. It's not working, and I even tried doing a repair install. And I know I have the most recent Java as well. This is kind of disappointing. COMSOL 4.2 throws the error and spits out a log. COMSOL 4.1 just disappears mysteriously... Looks like Update 3 should be on its merry way for COMSOL 4.2

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2011, 10:07 a.m. EDT
I'm using 10.7 and Comsol 4.2 with no issues. Make sure that you've downloaded Java for Mac 10.7; other than that I'm not sure what the problem is.
I'm using 10.7 and Comsol 4.2 with no issues. Make sure that you've downloaded Java for Mac 10.7; other than that I'm not sure what the problem is.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2011, 10:13 a.m. EDT
Hi Ryan,
that interresting
which Java did you download?
the one proposed by apple by default or another one..?

I have many java programs running and only comsol exhibits some, apparently java related problem,

I downloaded the Java machine proposed by apple firt time I needed it
Thks
Hi Ryan, that interresting which Java did you download? the one proposed by apple by default or another one..? I have many java programs running and only comsol exhibits some, apparently java related problem, I downloaded the Java machine proposed by apple firt time I needed it Thks

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2011, 10:16 a.m. EDT
That's exactly why I installed 4.2 when I couldn't figure out why Comsol 4.1 kept crashing. I installed Java for 10.7 but had no success, I even installed eclipse SDK when I saw some reference in the log. So I installed parallels desktop and setup Comsol on it and I got back to work.But performance is a real issue now.[As you might guess]. But the real problem is there is no support for hardware accelerated 3D. I contacted support today in the morning and they responded rapidly, telling me that they will release 4.2a and support 10.7 with it.
That's exactly why I installed 4.2 when I couldn't figure out why Comsol 4.1 kept crashing. I installed Java for 10.7 but had no success, I even installed eclipse SDK when I saw some reference in the log. So I installed parallels desktop and setup Comsol on it and I got back to work.But performance is a real issue now.[As you might guess]. But the real problem is there is no support for hardware accelerated 3D. I contacted support today in the morning and they responded rapidly, telling me that they will release 4.2a and support 10.7 with it.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2011, 10:21 a.m. EDT
Yes, the Java for Mac 10.7 that was proposed by Apple. Beyond that step, I can't think of a reason that there would be Java errors on some machines running 10.7 and not others.
Yes, the Java for Mac 10.7 that was proposed by Apple. Beyond that step, I can't think of a reason that there would be Java errors on some machines running 10.7 and not others.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2011, 12:37 p.m. EDT
Although I updated all softwares for 10.7, it doesn't work for me either. Please fix it as soon as possible.
Although I updated all softwares for 10.7, it doesn't work for me either. Please fix it as soon as possible.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2011, 12:55 p.m. EDT
I have the same problem, too. Fortunately I haven't upgraded my main computer yet.
I have the same problem, too. Fortunately I haven't upgraded my main computer yet.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2011, 2:20 p.m. EDT
I contacted them too and they told me the same thing but the problem is they are planning to release 4.2a in October. They should better release an update as soon as possible.
I contacted them too and they told me the same thing but the problem is they are planning to release 4.2a in October. They should better release an update as soon as possible.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2011, 7:33 p.m. EDT
It doesn't seem to me that this is a Comsol issue, exactly, necessitating an update from them. When Snow Leopard came out, the change in Java broke the post-processing for Comsol 3.5a, so they needed to do an update. This appears to be a different kind of problem because not all machines are affected.
It doesn't seem to me that this is a Comsol issue, exactly, necessitating an update from them. When Snow Leopard came out, the change in Java broke the post-processing for Comsol 3.5a, so they needed to do an update. This appears to be a different kind of problem because not all machines are affected.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 23, 2011, 12:43 p.m. EDT
I have downloaded the most recent Java and I obtain the same error!
I have downloaded the most recent Java and I obtain the same error!

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 25, 2011, 5:25 a.m. EDT
Hi Ryan ,
Will you mind sharing your config pls..?
Could be worthwhile for you seem to have comsol running on 10.7..
must be something somewhere.

THKS

Hi Ryan , Will you mind sharing your config pls..? Could be worthwhile for you seem to have comsol running on 10.7.. must be something somewhere. THKS

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 26, 2011, 11:44 p.m. EDT
I too have the same problem. Now I am stuck up with an important simulation. Am sure its a problem with some Java update in Lion. Please fix this soon and not in some 2 month later 4.2a release!
I too have the same problem. Now I am stuck up with an important simulation. Am sure its a problem with some Java update in Lion. Please fix this soon and not in some 2 month later 4.2a release!

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 27, 2011, 2:04 a.m. EDT
Personally I'm moving back to Snow Leopard.... 'hope I can find an old good installation DVD ;-)
Personally I'm moving back to Snow Leopard.... 'hope I can find an old good installation DVD ;-)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 27, 2011, 4:03 a.m. EDT
Did anyone try comsol 3.5a with Lion?
Did anyone try comsol 3.5a with Lion?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 27, 2011, 5:33 a.m. EDT
There is now a workaround available for COMSOL 4.2 + Mac OS X 10.7 Lion:
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1120/

kind regards
Niklas
There is now a workaround available for COMSOL 4.2 + Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1120/ kind regards Niklas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.