Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dielectric B.C. in Plasma Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I am trying to adapt the 2D argon_gec_icp file to have a dielectric boundary at the walls of the plasma domain. For this purpose I would like to use Surface Charge Accumulation as an Electrostatic boundary condition, but all boundaries appear as "not applicable". Does anyone know the reason for this? Better yet, does anyone have a suggestion for implementing the dielectric boundary condition properly?

Thank you,
Sonya

3 Replies Last Post May 10, 2012, 12:06 p.m. EDT
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 31, 2011, 9:42 a.m. EDT
Hi, if the boundary is an external boundary then you need to use the "External surface charge accumulation" feature. This is because different equation contributions need to be added depending on whether the boundary is internal or external. You will still need to have a ground somewhere in the model otherwise the problem is not well posed.
Hi, if the boundary is an external boundary then you need to use the "External surface charge accumulation" feature. This is because different equation contributions need to be added depending on whether the boundary is internal or external. You will still need to have a ground somewhere in the model otherwise the problem is not well posed.

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 16, 2011, 1:28 p.m. EST
Hi, Daniel

Is dc discharge model congaing both of ground and dielectric boundaries necessary condition?

I found out that if I set the wall is zero charge condition(metal wall) instead of dielectric wall(External surface charge accumulation) , it is hard to get the converged solutions.

Can you explain this?

Thank you~
Hi, Daniel Is dc discharge model congaing both of ground and dielectric boundaries necessary condition? I found out that if I set the wall is zero charge condition(metal wall) instead of dielectric wall(External surface charge accumulation) , it is hard to get the converged solutions. Can you explain this? Thank you~

Posted: 1 decade ago May 10, 2012, 12:06 p.m. EDT
Hi Daniel ,

Do you know how do i can input raidative reactions as N2*=>N2+hv in Comsol models as Dc discharge?
I think in comsol only is defined reactions as type as electron collisional (e+N2=>N2*+e) and species(N2+N2=>N4++e) and i dont know that how do i can input hv as a species.

Thanks
Hi Daniel , Do you know how do i can input raidative reactions as N2*=>N2+hv in Comsol models as Dc discharge? I think in comsol only is defined reactions as type as electron collisional (e+N2=>N2*+e) and species(N2+N2=>N4++e) and i dont know that how do i can input hv as a species. Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.