Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

µ-Metal shield

Vladimir Gregorowitsch

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

i have an Inventor file with a µ-Metal shield i have designed. Now i want to simulate how good the shielding is. Is it enough ne apply a magnetic field (as a boundary condition) and to set the the magnetic permeability of the metall?

Thank you

5 Replies Last Post Sep 15, 2011, 10:44 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 13, 2011, 3:44 a.m. EDT
Vladimir,

if the fields get the material near saturation you might need to define a non-linear permeability.

Cheers
Edgar
Vladimir, if the fields get the material near saturation you might need to define a non-linear permeability. Cheers Edgar

Vladimir Gregorowitsch

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 13, 2011, 5:47 a.m. EDT
Thanks,

i will try it.

Vladimir
Thanks, i will try it. Vladimir

Vladimir Gregorowitsch

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 14, 2011, 11:33 a.m. EDT
Hi, i have some Problems,

first i designed i mini setup. A big cube and a small metall part with high permiability inside. Now i want to see how the magnetic field in cube change if i apply a constant magnetic field.

But this is my Problem. how to define a constant magnetic field in the big cube, that i will be influenced by the high permiability? I i set the magnitic field in the whole volume then nothing will happen?

With best regards

Hi, i have some Problems, first i designed i mini setup. A big cube and a small metall part with high permiability inside. Now i want to see how the magnetic field in cube change if i apply a constant magnetic field. But this is my Problem. how to define a constant magnetic field in the big cube, that i will be influenced by the high permiability? I i set the magnitic field in the whole volume then nothing will happen? With best regards

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 14, 2011, 11:52 a.m. EDT
Vladimir,

set the uniform field you want just on the outer boundaries (cube walls) this will result in a uniform field inside the cube and any magnetic object inside the cube will distort it. E.g. for a uniform field of 1T in z-direction set Bz=1T and Bx=0, By =0 on all outer boundaries.

Cheers
Edgar
Vladimir, set the uniform field you want just on the outer boundaries (cube walls) this will result in a uniform field inside the cube and any magnetic object inside the cube will distort it. E.g. for a uniform field of 1T in z-direction set Bz=1T and Bx=0, By =0 on all outer boundaries. Cheers Edgar

Vladimir Gregorowitsch

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 15, 2011, 10:44 a.m. EDT
Great Thanks!

I got it :)
Great Thanks! I got it :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.