Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Automatically rejecting certain eigenmodes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I regularly simulate optical eigenmodes using comsol 4.2 rf mode solver. I set the outer boundaries to be perfect electric conductor, put a waveguide somewhere in the middle, and solve for the mode in the waveguide. However the problems are often more complex, but this is just a simple example of what I am doing.

When I solve for modes I get a bunch of modes, not all of which are physical. It is immediately obvious to a human that the modes that do not go to zero everywhere on the outer boundary are not physical. For complicated simulations however I find myself hunting through many modes, sometimes hundreds, to find the correct physical one.

Is there some feature where I can filter the modes, so, say, I reject all the results where the field is not zero or nearly zero on the outer boundaries? This would be a GREAT feature to have.

Thanks
David

4 Replies Last Post Oct 11, 2011, 8:46 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 11, 2011, 8:05 a.m. EDT
Hi

in the modal solver you have a setting to define "modes around", this puts roughly a "notch filter" around the node number.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in the modal solver you have a setting to define "modes around", this puts roughly a "notch filter" around the node number. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 11, 2011, 8:40 a.m. EDT
OK thanks Ivar. However I'd like to filter the *nonphysical* ones out (by some metric defined by me -- in this case, those that don't go to zero or near zero on the boundaries) rather than just filter by frequency.

So this requires some kind of logic to be set up, to test each mode after it's found and see if it conforms to the rule I set (rule = zero on the boundaries)

So I guess there is no way to do this? I think it'd be a really helpful feature..

Thanks
OK thanks Ivar. However I'd like to filter the *nonphysical* ones out (by some metric defined by me -- in this case, those that don't go to zero or near zero on the boundaries) rather than just filter by frequency. So this requires some kind of logic to be set up, to test each mode after it's found and see if it conforms to the rule I set (rule = zero on the boundaries) So I guess there is no way to do this? I think it'd be a really helpful feature.. Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 11, 2011, 8:45 a.m. EDT
Hi

no I'm not aware of such conditions on the modes, I would like to have it for model reduction in structural, but here too its all or none ;) Try it out with support, there might be something coming, I suppose the next release is for tomorrow at the Boston conference (hope so, I'm in EU so I need to still wait a couple of weeks ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi no I'm not aware of such conditions on the modes, I would like to have it for model reduction in structural, but here too its all or none ;) Try it out with support, there might be something coming, I suppose the next release is for tomorrow at the Boston conference (hope so, I'm in EU so I need to still wait a couple of weeks ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 11, 2011, 8:46 a.m. EDT
OK thanks, I will email the suggestion to support.
OK thanks, I will email the suggestion to support.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.