Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hey does anyone know how to create two sources in RF module and out of phase by 180 degrees?

Venkatesh Pappakrishnan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey does anyone know how to create two sources in RF module and out of phase by 180 degrees?

2 Replies Last Post Oct 13, 2011, 4:34 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 13, 2011, 4:34 a.m. EDT
I don't know if it is possible with just one setting of emw.
My suggestion is to have to two kinds of electromagnetic waves settings. Simply add a second emw under the physics options and there you can change the port phase.
Now you have two RF sources with different phase.
Hope this solves your problem.

Cheers!
I don't know if it is possible with just one setting of emw. My suggestion is to have to two kinds of electromagnetic waves settings. Simply add a second emw under the physics options and there you can change the port phase. Now you have two RF sources with different phase. Hope this solves your problem. Cheers!

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 13, 2011, 4:34 p.m. EDT
Not sure what the problem/confusion is here. I often "create sources" by specifying fields on boundary conditions at appropriate locations in a problem. There is nothing to stop you from specifying sources in two (or more) places. There are many ways to do this. You can use (among other methods) the "port" boundary condition and have two ports. Then, where you specify the fields, depending on what the bc dialog box asks for, you can either make the field on one of the ports equal to the negative of the other, or choose them to have equal magnitudes but differ in phase by 180 deg. Or you simply can use field boundary conditions directly. Or you can use scattering boundary conditions, but with non-zero fields specified into them, etc. Like I said, there are many ways.

Not sure what the problem/confusion is here. I often "create sources" by specifying fields on boundary conditions at appropriate locations in a problem. There is nothing to stop you from specifying sources in two (or more) places. There are many ways to do this. You can use (among other methods) the "port" boundary condition and have two ports. Then, where you specify the fields, depending on what the bc dialog box asks for, you can either make the field on one of the ports equal to the negative of the other, or choose them to have equal magnitudes but differ in phase by 180 deg. Or you simply can use field boundary conditions directly. Or you can use scattering boundary conditions, but with non-zero fields specified into them, etc. Like I said, there are many ways.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.