Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solving multi-step problems

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
So I'm pretty new at COMSOL, and I'm struggling with linking two different physics/studies. Specifically, I'm hoping to look at the effect of an external magnetic field on the resonant frequency a very long and narrow CoFe bridge. I've been able to create the magnetic field, in 2D with the Magnetic Fields physics. I've also been able to evaluate the eigenfrequency of the bridge in the absence of a magnetic field (with the bridge created using truss elements). But when I try to combine the two studies, I either get a string of errors, or no resonant response from the bridge.

My current model has a stationary study to evaluate the magnetic field, followed by an eigenfrequency study as a second step. Only the magnetic field physics is active in the first step, and only the truss physics is active in the second step. Each step also has it's own mesh. As far as I can tell, the settings are the same as when I evaluated each study separately and successfully. But when I plot the displacement of the bridge, it's just zero, and no eigenfrequency is given.

My model is attached - any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking that I'm just missing some link between the two physics, or something.

Thanks!
Jillian

0 Replies Last Post Oct 19, 2011, 4:57 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello J Bohnker

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.