Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plane wave scattering by a rigid sphere

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to model a plane wave scattering by a rigid sphere. The problem is: the wave is travelling in the wrong direction. I set the e_r vector to (0,0,1), so result equation for the traveling wave should be: exp(-i*k*z). Them, the wave should be traveling from +z to -z. The result gives me a wave traveling from -z to +z.

thanks.

2 Replies Last Post Nov 29, 2011, 10:06 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tiago Lobo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2011, 9:29 a.m. EST
I have seen similar strange behavior. I believe it has to do with the way they formulate the pressure fields (total vs scattered) and propagate the wave. A Kludgy workaround is to change your vector to (0,0,-1). Unless the 'source' of your wave is not at (0,0,0), then your phasing will be unaffected, and the wave will travel in the correct direction.
I have seen similar strange behavior. I believe it has to do with the way they formulate the pressure fields (total vs scattered) and propagate the wave. A Kludgy workaround is to change your vector to (0,0,-1). Unless the 'source' of your wave is not at (0,0,0), then your phasing will be unaffected, and the wave will travel in the correct direction.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2011, 10:06 a.m. EST
Reading the documentation I found the reason for this strange behavior. Oddly, they define the time dependence as exp(i*w*t), instead of the usual exp(-i*w*t), which explains the difference.
To compare results using these 2 definitions you just have to take the conjugate of one of the answers. Put the wave to travel in the - direction will make the imaginary part be out of phase.
Reading the documentation I found the reason for this strange behavior. Oddly, they define the time dependence as exp(i*w*t), instead of the usual exp(-i*w*t), which explains the difference. To compare results using these 2 definitions you just have to take the conjugate of one of the answers. Put the wave to travel in the - direction will make the imaginary part be out of phase.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.