Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interpolation function in variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to use a temperature depending interpolation function for the thermal conductivity (Cp)

I made an interpolation graph in the global definitions. (named int1)

There in X-axis it is temperature in degC
and in Y axis it is Cp (J/Kg K)

now I want to use this graph in my heat transfer mode

I think I need to make a variable called Cptemp with a link to int1

but there I get always the following
unknown variable int1

in the heat transfer mode I would change then Cp from material to user defined.

How can this basic problem be solved?

3 Replies Last Post Oct 27, 2011, 2:32 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 26, 2011, 11:27 a.m. EDT
Hi

if you define a function/operator and you want to call it you mustadd the variable such as int1(T[1/degC]). Now as T is a field depending on x,y,z you need to define this for a formula having a domain or a boundary or an edge or a point as selected items.

Note use rather T in [K], the default, or take at least care with the units, ther are new functionalities for unit definitions in the function in v4.2a

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you define a function/operator and you want to call it you mustadd the variable such as int1(T[1/degC]). Now as T is a field depending on x,y,z you need to define this for a formula having a domain or a boundary or an edge or a point as selected items. Note use rather T in [K], the default, or take at least care with the units, ther are new functionalities for unit definitions in the function in v4.2a -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 27, 2011, 1:59 a.m. EDT
Ivar,

thanks a lot for solving this basic problem which is occuring often because we have lot of data in function of temperature.
Ivar, thanks a lot for solving this basic problem which is occuring often because we have lot of data in function of temperature.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 27, 2011, 2:32 a.m. EDT
Hi

there are several essential and basic issues I had, when beginning with comsol, particularly how to understand variables, and really to catch that everything (most "variables" ) are in fact depending on x,y,z. and that most GUI fields apply to element volums of size *dx*dy*dz therefore the "density dimensions on most default field units

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there are several essential and basic issues I had, when beginning with comsol, particularly how to understand variables, and really to catch that everything (most "variables" ) are in fact depending on x,y,z. and that most GUI fields apply to element volums of size *dx*dy*dz therefore the "density dimensions on most default field units -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.