Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RE: Comsol multiphysics license (mac) for student

Mathivanan periyasamy

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Sir, I am mathivanan periyasamy doing my mechanical engineering bachelor's program (student) in Vilnius gediminas technical university. I am interested to learn and work on projects using comsol software but i was not able to download, As it is asking for trial code, i dont have one. Please help me to download the student version for mac os. waiting for your reply. Thanking you.

Kind regards, Mathivanan Periyasamy

2 Replies Last Post May 31, 2019, 5:45 p.m. EDT

Posted: 5 years ago May 31, 2019, 5:38 p.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago May 31, 2019, 5:40 p.m. EDT

Hi Mathivanan,

As you noticed, using COMSOL requires a license, which is not free of charge. Furthermore, to the best of my knowledge COMSOL does not sell licenses to individuals, but rather to private companies and public institutions such as labs or schools.

I suggest that you approach your teachers who have some simulation-related activity with the question: your department might already have access to educationnal licenses, or you might be able to do an internship in a laboratory that uses one if you're objective is to gain experience with the software.

If your university can't grant you access, you may still enjoy an Erasmus program since you mention you are studying in Vilnius. For example I am teaching at an engineering school in Strasbourg that gives COMSOL training to 1st year and 2nd year students (=3-4 yr after highschool, L3-M1 in the LMD scheme). There are other schools and programs that will do that, but if you are interested in coming to this particular one, send me a private message and I will give you the relevant contact information.

Best, Alexis

Hi Mathivanan, As you noticed, using COMSOL requires a license, which is not free of charge. Furthermore, to the best of my knowledge COMSOL does not sell licenses to individuals, but rather to private companies and public institutions such as labs or schools. I suggest that you approach your teachers who have some simulation-related activity with the question: your department might already have access to educationnal licenses, or you might be able to do an internship in a laboratory that uses one if you're objective is to gain experience with the software. If your university can't grant you access, you may still enjoy an Erasmus program since you mention you are studying in Vilnius. For example I am teaching at an engineering school in Strasbourg that gives COMSOL training to 1st year and 2nd year students (=3-4 yr after highschool, L3-M1 in the LMD scheme). There are other schools and programs that will do that, but if you are interested in coming to this particular one, send me a private message and I will give you the relevant contact information. Best, Alexis

Posted: 5 years ago May 31, 2019, 5:45 p.m. EDT

On the other hand if you are extra-motivated, I suggest trying to write your own finite-element solver. This is quite involved for a bachelor student, but there is a lot of great documentation out there, and there is no doubt that this is the single best way to learn how to use commercial softwares like COMSOL correctly.

On the other hand if you are extra-motivated, I suggest trying to write your own finite-element solver. This is quite involved for a bachelor student, but there is a lot of great documentation out there, and there is no doubt that this is the single best way to learn how to use commercial softwares like COMSOL correctly.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.