Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to solve a time dependent study of a 3D electromagnet ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1) Failed to find consistent initial values. Undefined value found. NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using BiCGStab. Last time step is not converged.

I am getting this problem when I was modeling an electromagnet. I have performed the coil geometry step and then I am unable to perform the time-dependent and frequency study. I am however able to do the stationary study where I can get the expected field.

1 Reply Last Post Jun 4, 2019, 6:23 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Jun 4, 2019, 6:23 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jun 4, 2019, 6:23 a.m. EDT

It seems the problem is with your initial values. Are you starting the simulation with the excitation of the electro magnet already on? If yes, try to ramp it up.

Otherwise, see if you have any material property of any other variable defined as 0, which might be causing your "NaN or Inf" error, and switch it to a relatively small value.

It seems the problem is with your initial values. Are you starting the simulation with the excitation of the electro magnet already on? If yes, try to ramp it up. Otherwise, see if you have any material property of any other variable defined as 0, which might be causing your "NaN or Inf" error, and switch it to a relatively small value.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.