Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetostatics - cannot solve with non-linear permeability

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I've been strugling to find a solution to my problem for some time and I really need your help. My task is very simple and primitive. Tried to look all over the forum but didn't find what could help me.

I am modeling a rail and two magnets above it. The magnets are joined by an iron shunt. What I need is to see how deeply the magnetic flux density goes inside the rail.

So I set up a model and set a permeability of the iron of 200, and everything works great.

BUT... I want to use nonlinear permeability so I can simulate the real Iron. And here the problem comes. I tried to use Soft Iron from material library that already has pre-defined curves, also tried to input my own function (miu(B)) without any luck. Tried various solvers and parameters but the solving either does not start at all, either takes forever and returns an error, like: Cannot find a solution, the result has not converged, etc, etc...

SO, as the task is really simple, I'm certainly doing something wrong, but don't know what, My knowledge of Comsol is not very big, so any help I will highly appreciate.

I am attaching my model.

Thank you very much in advance!

0 Replies Last Post Nov 18, 2011, 7:57 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rimantas Misevicius

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.