Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to create pores/holes in geometry + diffusion study?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone!

I am brand new to ComSol. For our bioengineering project, we are trying to see if particles will diffuse radially into a hollow cylindrical structure.

I am having difficulty understanding how to:
-create pores or holes on the cylinder. I want to be able to easily change the number of pores (and the size of the pores) on the structure.
-run a study that displays the concentration gradient of particles over time. (or somehow measure how many particles diffuse to the inside/center of the cylinder.

Note:
-I completed the busbar tutorial and the "creating geometries" tutorial, so that is the extent of my experience.
I was able to create a hollow cylinder of defined thickness.

Ideally:
I want to create 6 concentric cylinders. Each has the same pore density and pore size. We are trying to test this setup using a variety of pore densities, and measure when a significant amount of diffusion occurs in the innermost layer at a fixed time, t.

I have access to ComSol 4.2 (not 4.2a yet, but I believe we can run diffusion studies even without the particle tracing model).

I hope what I am asking is making sense. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I dont know what study to use, and what parameters I would need to set in the study.

Thank you so much, and let me know if you need more information!

-Arjun

2 Replies Last Post Nov 29, 2011, 4:21 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2011, 1:29 a.m. EST
Hi

Normally you do not generate the pores as geometrical items, that would be too computational heavy, but you apply them by the "physics" via pore data, check carefully the doc, and the related books on the subject. And do some examples, the bush bar is OK for learning solid and ACDC Joule heating, but yu should study some of the numerous model library examples in the diffusion section (chemical, subsurface flow, cfd, microfluidics ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Normally you do not generate the pores as geometrical items, that would be too computational heavy, but you apply them by the "physics" via pore data, check carefully the doc, and the related books on the subject. And do some examples, the bush bar is OK for learning solid and ACDC Joule heating, but yu should study some of the numerous model library examples in the diffusion section (chemical, subsurface flow, cfd, microfluidics ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2011, 4:21 p.m. EST
Thank you, Ivar!
Thank you, Ivar!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.