Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D model to 2D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I was hoping to find out if it is possible in Comsol to take a 3D model that you have already drawn and simplify it down to a 2D model without having to redraw it from scratch.

Thanks,
-Neal

3 Replies Last Post Nov 23, 2016, 10:07 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 20, 2009, 6:14 p.m. EDT
Hi,

that was also a "feature" I have been missing ever since I started with COMSOL. A "projection" 3D to 2D is rather simple i believe, but no, COMSOL seems not to have that as a standard tool.

My way is to only use SolidWorks for all my geometry (a pity because COMSOL has quite some nice geoemtry features too) as these limitations make life really difficult only remaining in COMSOL. Now SolidWorks and GibbsCAM (our CAM softweare) but is not the best either, because it cannot generate 2D dxf files (they are 3D with i.e. Z=0 and this COMSOL can neiter not read in), so I often edit the files by hand !

You have to play with the import "options" and I use often IGES, but still certain features do not pass.

I will suggest that you and other out there report this systematically to COMSOL support, then they might put this higher on their priority list.

By the way, by thurning on the correct view (there is a button for this and a menu, Im off site and has no access to COMSOL just now) you can get the image of the lines on the 2D ViewPlane, this helps to overdraw quicker the geometry

Good luck
Ivar
Hi, that was also a "feature" I have been missing ever since I started with COMSOL. A "projection" 3D to 2D is rather simple i believe, but no, COMSOL seems not to have that as a standard tool. My way is to only use SolidWorks for all my geometry (a pity because COMSOL has quite some nice geoemtry features too) as these limitations make life really difficult only remaining in COMSOL. Now SolidWorks and GibbsCAM (our CAM softweare) but is not the best either, because it cannot generate 2D dxf files (they are 3D with i.e. Z=0 and this COMSOL can neiter not read in), so I often edit the files by hand ! You have to play with the import "options" and I use often IGES, but still certain features do not pass. I will suggest that you and other out there report this systematically to COMSOL support, then they might put this higher on their priority list. By the way, by thurning on the correct view (there is a button for this and a menu, Im off site and has no access to COMSOL just now) you can get the image of the lines on the 2D ViewPlane, this helps to overdraw quicker the geometry Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 27, 2012, 5:02 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Some years have passed now. Have anyone found a simple (automatic) way of projecting to 2d from the solidworks livelink?

With Best Regards,

Magnus
Hi, Some years have passed now. Have anyone found a simple (automatic) way of projecting to 2d from the solidworks livelink? With Best Regards, Magnus

Posted: 7 years ago Nov 23, 2016, 10:07 a.m. EST
See the blog
"creating-2d-models-from-3d-geometries-in-comsol-multiphysics"
www.comsol.com/blogs/creating-2d-models-from-3d-geometries-in-comsol-multiphysics/

-DW
See the blog "creating-2d-models-from-3d-geometries-in-comsol-multiphysics" https://www.comsol.com/blogs/creating-2d-models-from-3d-geometries-in-comsol-multiphysics/ -DW

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.