Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D Axial Symmetry Simulation rotation only 90degree

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

My name is Jaehoon and I am designgin acoustic transdecer.

I was trying to run 2D axial symmtry only to rotate 90 degree not 360 degree but I do not know how to do it.

For example, If I draw a square and rotate 360 degree along with z axis the result will be a cylinder . However, I would like to achieve something pie shpaed figure by rotating the same square only 90degree.

I have tried 3D simulation but it takes too much time for simulation.

Is there any possible way to rotate only a certain amount of degree, not 360?

Thanks for helping in advance.

2 Replies Last Post Oct 30, 2019, 5:29 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 30, 2019, 9:02 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Oct 30, 2019, 5:02 a.m. EDT

Hello Jaehoon,

A 2D axisymmetric analysis can only be performed if the problem is invariant with theta, the angle about the z axis.

Unless the equations, loads and boundary conditions are all such that the problem is invariant with respect to theta, a quarter of a cylinder will need to be simulated with a 3D model.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Jaehoon, A 2D axisymmetric analysis can only be performed if the problem is invariant with theta, the angle about the z axis. Unless the equations, loads and boundary conditions are all such that the problem is invariant with respect to theta, a quarter of a cylinder will need to be simulated with a 3D model. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 30, 2019, 5:29 p.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Oct 30, 2019, 1:29 p.m. EDT

You can create 3-D geomtery by revolving 2-D rectangular sketch by 5 degree. On cross-section faces apply symmetic boundary condition.

You can create 3-D geomtery by revolving 2-D rectangular sketch by 5 degree. On cross-section faces apply symmetic boundary condition.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.