Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Steam Heating in COMSOL

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I want to carryout the simulation for the heating effect of steam on a material.I want to define the power of the steam source, apply it across a material and see the temperature distribution inside the material.

Is it possible in COMSOL? If yes, which module would I need for it and is there any tutorial available on this?

Many thanks for any of your response.

Regards,

3 Replies Last Post Dec 11, 2011, 9:45 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 11, 2011, 5:10 a.m. EST
Hi

you need at least to enter either the material properties of steam versus pressure and temperature (assuming no phase change), or simulate completely the material with an appropriate physics, and validate your results against the steam tables, then you should be in position to continue from there (but I would rather suggest to use a newer version)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you need at least to enter either the material properties of steam versus pressure and temperature (assuming no phase change), or simulate completely the material with an appropriate physics, and validate your results against the steam tables, then you should be in position to continue from there (but I would rather suggest to use a newer version) -- Good luck Ivar

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 11, 2011, 9:17 a.m. EST
Thanks Ivar,

By saying , "you need at least to enter either the material properties of steam versus pressure and temperature (assuming no phase change)" , do you mean that I should define the properties of steam to the same material which I want to heat? For example, if I am heating a box of oil in 2D, the properties of oil are already defined to the box at specific temperature and pressure. Should I add the properties of steam at the specified temperature and pressure to the same box as well? If yes, how will I be able to get the effect of heating on the material after some time?Can you please explain a little?

Can you please elaborate on how can I simulate the material with appropriate physics by using steam as a source of heat?
Is steam as a source available in newer versions of COMSOL?

Thank you!
Thanks Ivar, By saying , "you need at least to enter either the material properties of steam versus pressure and temperature (assuming no phase change)" , do you mean that I should define the properties of steam to the same material which I want to heat? For example, if I am heating a box of oil in 2D, the properties of oil are already defined to the box at specific temperature and pressure. Should I add the properties of steam at the specified temperature and pressure to the same box as well? If yes, how will I be able to get the effect of heating on the material after some time?Can you please explain a little? Can you please elaborate on how can I simulate the material with appropriate physics by using steam as a source of heat? Is steam as a source available in newer versions of COMSOL? Thank you!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 11, 2011, 9:45 a.m. EST
Hi

that depends on how you intend to build your model, either you say I use steam to heat, but I know the heat flux at my steam - model boundary, or the temperature, and I do not care of what is happening with the steam as its removed and changes on a continuous way, then you use only the boundary values you have (heat flux or Temperature or convection cooling or ...) and you use your model with your other material.

Or the steam exchange is part of the model, your steam condenses as its giving off its energy, or the pressure changes as the temperature does too (of the steam) ...

It depends how your steam and oil is interacting, if the oil is in a closed metallic container you are probably in the first case, if they are both in closed container of fixed volume you are perhaps in the second case.

"Just" apply standard physics practical sense and I'm sure you will find your way

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that depends on how you intend to build your model, either you say I use steam to heat, but I know the heat flux at my steam - model boundary, or the temperature, and I do not care of what is happening with the steam as its removed and changes on a continuous way, then you use only the boundary values you have (heat flux or Temperature or convection cooling or ...) and you use your model with your other material. Or the steam exchange is part of the model, your steam condenses as its giving off its energy, or the pressure changes as the temperature does too (of the steam) ... It depends how your steam and oil is interacting, if the oil is in a closed metallic container you are probably in the first case, if they are both in closed container of fixed volume you are perhaps in the second case. "Just" apply standard physics practical sense and I'm sure you will find your way -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.