Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to create a crack in a plate

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I want to create a crack in a 2D Aluminum plate, and I was wondering, If I need to give any boundary condition to it, like a weak constraint or anything of that sort?

3 Replies Last Post Jun 4, 2012, 11:58 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2011, 4:10 p.m. EST
Hi

I would propose to use assembly mode and then apply a continuity by hand, but the best is to look at the mdel of a crack in the model library (at least there were one in 3.5)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would propose to use assembly mode and then apply a continuity by hand, but the best is to look at the mdel of a crack in the model library (at least there were one in 3.5) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 3, 2012, 3:20 p.m. EDT
Have you found a solution to creating a crack in a plate?
Have you found a solution to creating a crack in a plate?

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 4, 2012, 11:58 a.m. EDT
One way is to partition the plate into two separate geometries along the direction of the crack, use Assembly instead of Union as a final geometry operation and add a Boundary Similarity model coupling between the two parts of the plate that are not cracked. The Boundary Similarity will couple the displacements of the two sides. There is, as Ivar pointed out, a basic 2D crack example in the documentation. In that example the crack is along a line of symmetry so the geometry was easier to define.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
One way is to partition the plate into two separate geometries along the direction of the crack, use Assembly instead of Union as a final geometry operation and add a Boundary Similarity model coupling between the two parts of the plate that are not cracked. The Boundary Similarity will couple the displacements of the two sides. There is, as Ivar pointed out, a basic 2D crack example in the documentation. In that example the crack is along a line of symmetry so the geometry was easier to define. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.