Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

4.2a to 4.0a backward compatibility?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Could anybody please advise me on how to convert a 4.2a mph file to a 4.0a one? Our group has COMSOL 4.0a on desktop computers running Windows and I submit the 4.0a mph files to a supercomputer running 4.2a under Redhat Linux. When I copy back the result file, I cannot open it with COMSOL 4.0a with an error message saying "Model created by a later version of COMSOL Multiphysics." I am almost sure that the SC does not have a graphical interface. Thanks in advance!

Best regards

4 Replies Last Post Dec 19, 2011, 11:42 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2011, 10:37 a.m. EST
I don't think it is possible to import 4.2a models into 4.0.

I suggest you ask COMSOL support about that.

Cheers
Edgar
I don't think it is possible to import 4.2a models into 4.0. I suggest you ask COMSOL support about that. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2011, 11:02 a.m. EST
What you mean is "forward compatibility". Comsol, like most software, is not forward compatible for rather obvious reasons.

In your case, the 4.2a model that you get back is, however, not using any of the features introduced after 4.0a. So, in principle, 4.0a should be able to process it.

If you were really desperate, you could try to "hack" your 4.2a Comsol model. To that end, you'd rename it to a ZIP file – i.e., append the extension ".zip" so that Windows thinks it's a ZIP archive –, then go through all XML files (such as "model.xml") you find inside the ZIP archive with a text editor such as Notepad. These XML files are fairly readable, and you'd have to change every reference to some kind of Comsol version back to what it looked like in 4.0a. You could look at the original 4.0a model to compare.

Needless to say, this is not guaranteed to work. And it bears repeating that this hack would be an act of desperation and not the smart thing to do...
What you mean is "forward compatibility". Comsol, like most software, is not forward compatible for rather obvious reasons. In your case, the 4.2a model that you get back is, however, not using any of the features introduced after 4.0a. So, in principle, 4.0a should be able to process it. If you were really desperate, you could try to "hack" your 4.2a Comsol model. To that end, you'd rename it to a ZIP file – i.e., append the extension ".zip" so that Windows thinks it's a ZIP archive –, then go through all XML files (such as "model.xml") you find inside the ZIP archive with a text editor such as Notepad. These XML files are fairly readable, and you'd have to change every reference to some kind of Comsol version back to what it looked like in 4.0a. You could look at the original 4.0a model to compare. Needless to say, this is not guaranteed to work. And it bears repeating that this hack would be an act of desperation and not the smart thing to do...

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2011, 11:41 a.m. EST
Thanks!
Thanks!

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2011, 11:42 a.m. EST
Thanks John. I think I'd better ask their technical support for help.
Thanks John. I think I'd better ask their technical support for help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.