Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Criteria to select the size of the mesh and time steps in a time dependent model.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm running a simulation of a stirring tank by using the rotating machinery-laminar flow COMSOL module . The problem includes time dependency , and I am not sure about with size of mesh works better for my model.since I have two parameters such as: size of the mesh and delta time. I have been using the adimensional number:

(u)*(delta t)/(delta x)<0.5

Which means

(velocity)*(delta time)/(minimum size of the mesh)<0.5

Everytime I change the size of the mesh and the time steps in order to guarantee the criterion, I have a different answer in the velocity and pressure distribution.

Does anybody know something about this criterion? Does anybody know how to select the appropriated minimum size of the mesh and delta time for an accurate solution?

Thanks!

4 Replies Last Post Feb 18, 2012, 10:43 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 20, 2011, 4:11 a.m. EST
Hi

my way (but I'm mostly in structural and HT) is to first estimate the mesh / time step ratios with formulas as yours, then solve and resolve for a 2x finer mesh, until I'm happy with the results, i.e. < 5-10% change when I double the mesh density.

now mostly you have only a few areas with critical mesh in a complex model, so it's not always required to double the mesh density everywhere, that is too expensive in computing time. mainly I check all my fluxes and see if I correctly estimate all gradients.

You also have the adaptive meshing in the solver settings, all depends on the model and time you have

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi my way (but I'm mostly in structural and HT) is to first estimate the mesh / time step ratios with formulas as yours, then solve and resolve for a 2x finer mesh, until I'm happy with the results, i.e. < 5-10% change when I double the mesh density. now mostly you have only a few areas with critical mesh in a complex model, so it's not always required to double the mesh density everywhere, that is too expensive in computing time. mainly I check all my fluxes and see if I correctly estimate all gradients. You also have the adaptive meshing in the solver settings, all depends on the model and time you have -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 20, 2011, 10:24 a.m. EST
Thank you so much!

Do you know the name of this adimensional number? I am looking for more information about mesh in finite elements, but I could not find this specific criterion.
Thank you so much! Do you know the name of this adimensional number? I am looking for more information about mesh in finite elements, but I could not find this specific criterion.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 21, 2011, 3:15 a.m. EST
Hi

the average mesh size is "h" check te doc, its a field (changes with location)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the average mesh size is "h" check te doc, its a field (changes with location) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 18, 2012, 10:43 a.m. EST
Hi. I know it is too late. But now I learnt it is called 'Courant-Friedrichs-Lewy (CFL) number.
Hi. I know it is too late. But now I learnt it is called 'Courant-Friedrichs-Lewy (CFL) number.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.