Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to transform a closed Parametric curve in a 2d surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello comsol forum

I am trying to simulate scenarios of 2d scattering of a cylindrical em wave from an infinitely long z-directed PEC with a specific cross section.

I successfully done this for a circular and elliptic cross sections. But i wish to do it for other cross section shapes also, for example a rounded triangle or a rounded square. From the parametric curve option i can design the cross section but i don't know how to transform this curve to a 2d surface in order to use it in the same way as the circular and the elliptic shape.

In other words, how can we transform a closed parametric curve to a 2d surface in order to use in a 2d scattering problem?

Thank you miko

3 Replies Last Post Feb 16, 2020, 8:23 a.m. EST

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 16, 2020, 7:24 a.m. EST

You may want to try "Convert to Solid" function in COMSOL.

-------------------
ZHANG, Pu
School of Physics,
Huazhong University of Science and Technology

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 16, 2020, 7:29 a.m. EST

Thank you for the reply!

Is this available in the 2D Model wizard or only in the 3D? If it is only in 3D will I be able to use the solid surface to the 2D simulation?

>You may want to try "Convert to Solid" function in COMSOL. Thank you for the reply! Is this available in the 2D Model wizard or only in the 3D? If it is only in 3D will I be able to use the solid surface to the 2D simulation?

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 16, 2020, 8:23 a.m. EST

It seems that the parametric curve is not closed although it is defined as it should be! That is why it cannot be conversed in to solid! Sincerely i don't understand what the heck is going on!

It seems that the parametric curve is not closed although it is defined as it should be! That is why it cannot be conversed in to solid! Sincerely i don't understand what the heck is going on!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.