Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Roller rotation

Ramamoorthy Venkataramanan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Problem. Two rollers A and B, one over the other. "A" roller is rotating at a velocity 1m/s and it is driving the "B" roller. Pl suggest, how to go in COMSOL.

Basically this process is a pipe extrusion process.

Note: Cylindrical roller is used and surface is smooth. Some knwon factors are coefficent of friction. Both rollers are fixed in position.

--

Thanks,
Ramamoorthy V

2 Replies Last Post Jan 5, 2012, 3:41 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 5, 2012, 10:23 a.m. EST
Hi

I'm not sure that COMSOL is the best for what you describe, it sounds more like a multi-body simulation à la Modelica.
(www.modelica.org, or via one of the commercial ones as MapleSim)

But to study locally the "contact, friction and slip", I would say COMSOL is better

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure that COMSOL is the best for what you describe, it sounds more like a multi-body simulation à la Modelica. (www.modelica.org, or via one of the commercial ones as MapleSim) But to study locally the "contact, friction and slip", I would say COMSOL is better -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 5, 2012, 3:41 p.m. EST
If you want to model the interaction between the rollers then a multibody simulation tool is more suitable as Ivar mentioned. Use COMSOL if you want to model the interaction of the rollers with a flexible material (the extruded material in your case). You should model the rollers as rigid (very stiff) surfaces with prescribed rotation. In that case only model the rollers in contact with the softer material, and drive each roller independently, if possible.

Here is a link to a paper I presented at the 2011 COMSOL conference that involves rollers; it has some modeling details that you may find useful: www.comsol.com/papers/11574/download/elabbasi_paper.pdf.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
If you want to model the interaction between the rollers then a multibody simulation tool is more suitable as Ivar mentioned. Use COMSOL if you want to model the interaction of the rollers with a flexible material (the extruded material in your case). You should model the rollers as rigid (very stiff) surfaces with prescribed rotation. In that case only model the rollers in contact with the softer material, and drive each roller independently, if possible. Here is a link to a paper I presented at the 2011 COMSOL conference that involves rollers; it has some modeling details that you may find useful: www.comsol.com/papers/11574/download/elabbasi_paper.pdf. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.