Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fuel droplets in a injection pipe - Problems with the "drag" node

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello every one,

I'm a student and I need to study a fuel injector as a project. I need some advices to begin with, for instance which physics should I use to model the transport of the fuel droplets from the exit of an injector nozzle, and along a tube with flowing air. My goal is to see at the end, how the fuel reach the combustion chamber a little farther down the pipe.

I use 4.2a with a turbulent physic node, solved with a stationnary solver to have the velocity field and turbulence of the injected air. I have also the particule for fluid physic enabled and solved with a time dependant solver. I have the fuel injection inlet with a initial velocity defined, and I use the drag node to see the trajectories of the particles when they reach the turbulent air flow. But the particles stop right after the inlet, since, I think, I specified in the drag options to use the results of study1 (turbulent air flow) as velocity field en turbulent field. And as the velocity field after the inlet is zero, I think that is why the particles stop.

Eventually, I would like the particles to interact with the fluid flow, but maybe not with the drag option which forces me to inject my particles in the flow. You wil find enclosed my model for further information.

Thank you for your help, regards.

3 Replies Last Post Feb 15, 2012, 5:55 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 8, 2012, 5:55 a.m. EST
Sorry I forgot the file.
Sorry I forgot the file.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 8, 2012, 7:39 a.m. EST
To be more specific, I would like to know one can a spraying phenomenon, as labelled in the "Particle tracing module" description (www.comsol.com/products/particle-tracing/)

Thanks
To be more specific, I would like to know one can a spraying phenomenon, as labelled in the "Particle tracing module" description (http://www.comsol.com/products/particle-tracing/) Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 15, 2012, 5:55 a.m. EST
Sorry to bother you all again but I am kinda stuck in my project, and I wondered if I could achieve my goal with the Euler-Euler model, with air as a continuous phase and fuel as a dispersed phase?
Thanks
Sorry to bother you all again but I am kinda stuck in my project, and I wondered if I could achieve my goal with the Euler-Euler model, with air as a continuous phase and fuel as a dispersed phase? Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.