Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Phase angle in RF frequency domain study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am currently doing some work on antennas. I am performing frequency domain studies to look at the impedance match and the far field pattern of the antenna.
The antenna is intended to produce circular polarization, i.e. the E-vector rotates by 360° around the propagation direction during a period of the exciting signal.

Now the question: Is it possible in a frequency domain study to look at the far field results at different phase angles? This would reveal to what degree the antenna pattern is circular or elliptic.

I already tried to set different angles in the Results > Data Sets > Solution field. But this didn't change the result plots in any way.

Will I need to do a transient study for that? Any ideas?

Thank you,
Edgar

2 Replies Last Post Jan 20, 2012, 3:33 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2012, 11:19 a.m. EST
Hi Edgar

Interesting question you have there, can you do something with a polar plot ?

My 4.2a model is really lazy and its' 2D, in 3D one would need to define the nx,ny,nz and make something like a cut plane there through someway.

not sure I got it right anyhow ;) Just a 5 min test out

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Edgar Interesting question you have there, can you do something with a polar plot ? My 4.2a model is really lazy and its' 2D, in 3D one would need to define the nx,ny,nz and make something like a cut plane there through someway. not sure I got it right anyhow ;) Just a 5 min test out -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 20, 2012, 3:33 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

thanks for the reply. The issue was resolved by the COMSOL support in the meanwhile. It was actually correct to set the phase angle in the solution, but only the scalar field components are phase dependent, the norm-values are calculated from a full period.

And indeed, I think the polar plots are very well suited to display the results.

Cheers
Edgar

Hi Ivar, thanks for the reply. The issue was resolved by the COMSOL support in the meanwhile. It was actually correct to set the phase angle in the solution, but only the scalar field components are phase dependent, the norm-values are calculated from a full period. And indeed, I think the polar plots are very well suited to display the results. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.