Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strange behavior of a diffusion model coupled with moving mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm working on a simple 2D model of a chamber (rectangle) where I have Laminar Flow, Transport of Diluted Species and Moving Mesh physics.

This is my simple geometry:

I'm expanding the chamber by moving up the top boundary; at the same time a Laminar Inflow is entering by the left boundary.
In the Laminar Flow I have set Inflow (Pressure=1atm), Initial Values (p=1atm) and Moving Wall;
In the Transport of Diluted Species I have set an Inlet (C=1.8mol/m^3), Initial Values (C=1.8mol/m^3), No Flux in every other boundary.
The study is Time Dependent.

The problem I have is that the concentration in the chamber increases near the boundary where I set the Moving Wall.
There is no physic explanation of that, and I don't know how to solve. I tried changing the Coordinate System, but I don't know if the problem is there, and it didn't work.

In the attachment there is an image of my result.

Can anyone help me?

Daniele

6 Replies Last Post Mar 14, 2012, 9:53 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 15, 2012, 12:01 p.m. EST
Hi

could it be that you have 2 conditions, mass transfort (flow) and concentration diffusion, and a moving wall, moving perpendcular to the flow, should still have a "no-slip" condition along the flow (from my understanding), so I suspect that you have a rapid flow close to the moving wall.

have you checked carefully the other results, flow velocity, etc, also from your initial conditions
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi could it be that you have 2 conditions, mass transfort (flow) and concentration diffusion, and a moving wall, moving perpendcular to the flow, should still have a "no-slip" condition along the flow (from my understanding), so I suspect that you have a rapid flow close to the moving wall. have you checked carefully the other results, flow velocity, etc, also from your initial conditions -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 15, 2012, 12:29 p.m. EST
Hi,
thank you for your answer.

The velocity seems to be correct, it's 0 m/s near the moving wall, as you can see in the attachment (I forgot to say that there is a symmetry on the bottom boundary, but I have the same problem without the symmetry condition).

In the second attachment there is a graph of the average concentration in the chamber. I'm expecting the average concentration to be constant in time, but it's increasing, and I don't know why.

Daniele
Hi, thank you for your answer. The velocity seems to be correct, it's 0 m/s near the moving wall, as you can see in the attachment (I forgot to say that there is a symmetry on the bottom boundary, but I have the same problem without the symmetry condition). In the second attachment there is a graph of the average concentration in the chamber. I'm expecting the average concentration to be constant in time, but it's increasing, and I don't know why. Daniele

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 16, 2012, 8:36 a.m. EST
Hi,

today I discovered something that might be useful.

If in Transport Of Diluted Species model inputs I change the velocity field something changes:

-with Velocity Field = Velocity Field (spf/fp1), that is my standard, I have the problem
-with Velocity Field = User Defined, and x=u, y=v (that is the same of setting spf/fp1, right?), I have the problem
-with Velocity Field = User Defined, and x=u BUT y=0 the problem disappears!

So it seems to be a problem of the velocity field in transport of diluted species. Could it be caused by frames or coordinate system? Could it be a problem of the coupling of the two physics?
I double checked the Velocity (spf.U, u, v, etc) in Results and it seems to be correct.
Hi, today I discovered something that might be useful. If in Transport Of Diluted Species model inputs I change the velocity field something changes: -with Velocity Field = Velocity Field (spf/fp1), that is my standard, I have the problem -with Velocity Field = User Defined, and x=u, y=v (that is the same of setting spf/fp1, right?), I have the problem -with Velocity Field = User Defined, and x=u BUT y=0 the problem disappears! So it seems to be a problem of the velocity field in transport of diluted species. Could it be caused by frames or coordinate system? Could it be a problem of the coupling of the two physics? I double checked the Velocity (spf.U, u, v, etc) in Results and it seems to be correct.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2012, 10:38 a.m. EST
Today I tried to reduce the chamber size, instead of expand it, and I found that there is the same problem, but the concentration near the moving wall in this case decreases!

I can't find any solution, could anybody help me?
Today I tried to reduce the chamber size, instead of expand it, and I found that there is the same problem, but the concentration near the moving wall in this case decreases! I can't find any solution, could anybody help me?

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2012, 9:33 a.m. EDT
same problem here.

daniele, did you find out more?
simon
same problem here. daniele, did you find out more? simon

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2012, 9:53 a.m. EDT

same problem here.

daniele, did you find out more?
simon

Hi,
yes I solved it. I rewrote the diffusion equation via the "PDE - coefficient form PDE" interface, and it works.
I think that there is a bug in "transport of diluted species" interface.
[QUOTE] same problem here. daniele, did you find out more? simon [/QUOTE] Hi, yes I solved it. I rewrote the diffusion equation via the "PDE - coefficient form PDE" interface, and it works. I think that there is a bug in "transport of diluted species" interface.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.