Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question about the simulation of Pelton wheel

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am a new to the Comsol 4.2 and I am trying to analysis the Pelton wheel in order to find the torque exerted on the wheel, the power output as well as the wheel speed and gas jet speed.

Meanwhile, I also want to find the inlet and outlet channels position for the best performance.

I am confused which model I should use, the structure or the CFD, or both of them?

And is there any examples or tutorials can help me to understand it clearly?

Thank you for the help!

Have a good day!

1 Reply Last Post Jan 19, 2012, 12:05 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 19, 2012, 12:05 p.m. EST
Hi

normally it requires both, I would believe, but you have the "FSI" physics module that couples them "pre-cooked".

Nevertheless, I would strongly advise you to start fluids and structural separately, "just" to learn the tricks how to best built a model with COMSOL, then to couple them later (or better use the FSI module).

And I would advise to start in 2D-axi BEFORE you start to go to 3D, you learn much quicker as the model building + solving + understanding is much shorter.

If you have a long FEM expertise these first phases would be quickly done, it all depends.
You will find a lot of interesting models in the model library, do not forget to update the model library regularly, you have often updates and new things arriving weekly

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally it requires both, I would believe, but you have the "FSI" physics module that couples them "pre-cooked". Nevertheless, I would strongly advise you to start fluids and structural separately, "just" to learn the tricks how to best built a model with COMSOL, then to couple them later (or better use the FSI module). And I would advise to start in 2D-axi BEFORE you start to go to 3D, you learn much quicker as the model building + solving + understanding is much shorter. If you have a long FEM expertise these first phases would be quickly done, it all depends. You will find a lot of interesting models in the model library, do not forget to update the model library regularly, you have often updates and new things arriving weekly -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.