Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A question about COMSOL poroelasticity(poro) model and also large deformations in porous materials

Mohamadreza Nassajian Moghadam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I have a question about COMSOL poroelastic model.
I want to model a sponge like material. In my model I want to apply a sinusoidal displacement at the top of a cylinder and to check the fluid flow inside the porous media.
in my model I did like this: I fixed the bottom of the cylinder and set a prescribed displacement boundary condition at the top with the function: 0.003[m]sin(4*pi*t) in Z direction. (0.003 means the amplitude is 20% strain) and the poroucity of my material is 0.8
but when I run the model over time I get strange displacement filed. at the top of cylinder the displacement in Z direction (along the axis) is correct like what I set. but the displacement flied in other parts is much higher which is not logical I guess.

Now my question is that in general with current comsol poroelastic model is it possible to model solid deformation on matrix, like when you want to compress a sponge (of course not to much less that 20% deformation) or no stress strain model is possible with this model and it is just for non deformable porous media.

If is is possible is it also possible to have large deformation in poroelastic model like the one which is possible in solid mechanics model. because I guess 20% should be considered as large deformation.

Thank you

0 Replies Last Post Jan 20, 2012, 10:32 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mohamadreza Nassajian Moghadam

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.