Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

time dependent chds simulation doesn't converge

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hey all,

I've done a very simple geometry swap for the electroosmostic micro-mixer example. I deleted the original geometry from the model that comsol distributes and put in my own simple 2D geometry. I then reassigned all the boundary conditions, and hit run.

It didn't .

It crashes saying that the last time step didn't converge in the time-dependent solver. I tried changing the solver (MUMPS, SPOOLES,...), but that didn't help either. Everything is as it was originally, except for geometry specific reassignments. What am I doing wrong?

thanks

Mikiyas

1 Reply Last Post Jan 25, 2012, 2:52 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 25, 2012, 2:52 a.m. EST
Hi

I believe you have still a little homework to do ;)
You are not using the default COMSOL physics boundaries and you have not used boundary layer meshes so you do not resolve the flow along the walls correctly. And have you checked your Reynolds number and Reynolds Cell number ? check the doc on mesh size related to physics and to time dependent solutions

then I suppose you want the stationary to not solve for the CHDS and leave that for the time series or ? (not the most important) when you do not solve for all physics, be sure you define correctly the values to use for the dependent variables "not solved for"

And when you mix several solvers, do not forget that the last Data set is the first Store solution and the first Data set is the final result, this is easy to get wrong (probably not your case anyhow)

Interesting model ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe you have still a little homework to do ;) You are not using the default COMSOL physics boundaries and you have not used boundary layer meshes so you do not resolve the flow along the walls correctly. And have you checked your Reynolds number and Reynolds Cell number ? check the doc on mesh size related to physics and to time dependent solutions then I suppose you want the stationary to not solve for the CHDS and leave that for the time series or ? (not the most important) when you do not solve for all physics, be sure you define correctly the values to use for the dependent variables "not solved for" And when you mix several solvers, do not forget that the last Data set is the first Store solution and the first Data set is the final result, this is easy to get wrong (probably not your case anyhow) Interesting model ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.