Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coffee Moka Pot Problem - Air expansion and fixed volume of water flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am in a student group that is trying to simulate making coffee in a moka pot with a simplified geometry (shown in image). We are trying to get the volume of air in the lower reservoir to expand and force the fixed volume of water through the porous media (the coffee) and into the upper reservoir. We are leaving out the extraction of coffee entirely at the moment and are focusing on flow and heat.

I know this a pretty complex situation, where have a number of different physics happening: multi-phase flow, flow through porous media, heat transfer through solids and fluids, bubbly flow from the coffee media to the outlet, and laminar flow filling the top reservoir, etc. Is this a problem that Comsol can simulate together?

I haven't been able to find a physics module that can handle motion of a fixed volume of water or pressure increase from from gas heating, and I have been having trouble understanding how to link different physics as they cross the material boundaries. So far we have been able to simulate flow through porous media, and heat transfer in the object but without any flow.

What is the best approach to take in this problem? Is two-phase laminar flow with moving mesh or maybe phase field module?

Any help would be appreciated ! Still learning COMSOL.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Replies Last Post Apr 14, 2020, 4:14 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Adam Parrott

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.