Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D coil type Pipe

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to run a simulation for 3D coil type pipe used in the heat exchanger. The pipe has 7 passes the outside diameter of the pipe is 9 mm and inside diameter is 6.5 . I am using the Non Isotherm flow module but there is no convergence nor the simulation is running properly . I have made the 3D pipe drawing in PRO E and exported in the IGS format and imported into the comsol v4.2 I have a major headache taking care of edges and boundary conditions. I am attaching the build model file for reference

Mechanicals

4 Replies Last Post Jan 31, 2012, 4:21 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2012, 2:34 p.m. EST
I am attaching the model of the pipe I tried again and again to run the simulation but I am unable to do so. Any help would be appreciated

Mechanicals
I am attaching the model of the pipe I tried again and again to run the simulation but I am unable to do so. Any help would be appreciated Mechanicals

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2012, 2:53 p.m. EST
Hi

thermal flow interactions are very delicate, and doing that in 3D for large systems can become extremely RAM and processing time dependent. Have you asked yourself if you can simplify somewhat, conside r i.e. only a "U" with a half length and or separate mass transport and conducction (that depends on flow elocity and fluid + wall material properties. Just as the mesh can sometimes be of "poor" quality but still plenty to give correct results, hence lowering the mesh density (possible in laminar flow, hardly for turbilent flows

I cant open your file as it uses a module I do not have, anyhow my only comment is start simple, identify what is going on and then see what can be separated and /or added up linearly

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi thermal flow interactions are very delicate, and doing that in 3D for large systems can become extremely RAM and processing time dependent. Have you asked yourself if you can simplify somewhat, conside r i.e. only a "U" with a half length and or separate mass transport and conducction (that depends on flow elocity and fluid + wall material properties. Just as the mesh can sometimes be of "poor" quality but still plenty to give correct results, hence lowering the mesh density (possible in laminar flow, hardly for turbilent flows I cant open your file as it uses a module I do not have, anyhow my only comment is start simple, identify what is going on and then see what can be separated and /or added up linearly -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2012, 3:14 p.m. EST
HI Ivar,

Thank you for the reply I really appreciate it. Fortunately I do have HPC with me so the processing and it's application is no problem for me. I have thought of running a single but the application is very critical hence I have use the full pipe simulation . I am stuck at wall boundaries conditions since I imported the geometry inside the Comsol. I selected the solid. But the edges are giving me a large trouble. I don't know how to proceed .

Mechanicals
HI Ivar, Thank you for the reply I really appreciate it. Fortunately I do have HPC with me so the processing and it's application is no problem for me. I have thought of running a single but the application is very critical hence I have use the full pipe simulation . I am stuck at wall boundaries conditions since I imported the geometry inside the Comsol. I selected the solid. But the edges are giving me a large trouble. I don't know how to proceed . Mechanicals

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2012, 4:21 p.m. EST
Hi

you know that in V4.2 there is a new geoemtry "cap" functionality to close a tube or any hollow geoemtry to make the closed fluid domain, when one import only the solid, is it that that is your issue ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you know that in V4.2 there is a new geoemtry "cap" functionality to close a tube or any hollow geoemtry to make the closed fluid domain, when one import only the solid, is it that that is your issue ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.