Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

rotating mesh AC/DC Physics question

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all

I have modeled with Comsol 4.2 a stator ring with a ring about 4 inches in diameter with 4 rectangles extending into the center of the ring along the x and y axis representing the four coils of a stator. I selected air for inside and around the ring and steel for the ring and the coil rectangles. I then used AC/DC physics module rotating machinery and declared two multi-turn coil domains, where each one got two opposing "coils" rectangles with 560 turns and a current of Imax*exp(-i*phase1) and Imax*exp(-i*phase2) where Imax is 10 amps * sqrt(2) and phase 1 is 0 degrees and phase two is 90 degrees, pi/2. I then added a prescribed rotational velocity and selected the ring and the four coil rectangles for the domains and 15 rps. I then meshed the geometry and tried to solve a time dependent study but it threw up an error saying failed to find consistent initial values. However, when I make the current for the coil rectangles as just Imax, or 10 amps, the study solves just fine.

What can I do to make the solver solve when I have the currents as Imax*exp(-i*phase1) and Imax*exp(-i*phase2)????

Thanks so much for the help.
Stephen

2 Replies Last Post Feb 15, 2012, 2:21 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 14, 2012, 5:57 p.m. EST
bump...
bump...

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 15, 2012, 2:21 a.m. EST
Hi

perhaps you will get more replies if you upload the model or a simplified one. I do not find it easy to understand while thinking of complex "constant" currents with a time solver (and not a frequency domain one).

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi perhaps you will get more replies if you upload the model or a simplified one. I do not find it easy to understand while thinking of complex "constant" currents with a time solver (and not a frequency domain one). -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.