Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hard Magnetic Field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,
I am new to comsol and I am still trying to find my way through.

I am in the process of simulating the magnetic field of a geometry like the letter 'C'. The current is going to flow from the top end of the C and the ground is at the bottom of the C.

i41.tinypic.com/2ivxz6h.jpg

I am trying to get the magnetic field of this setup. The current will not be uniform thoughtout the ring so it is difficult to define the current density properly. Can anyone please guide me to get the magnetic field?
Thank you.
Regards

5 Replies Last Post Feb 17, 2012, 12:03 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2012, 2:23 a.m. EST
Hi

if its a bulk connector in the chape of a "C" and you travel with a current from the two end points, the easiest is to apply a constant current sorce (terminal type) to one boundary and GND to the other, and leave COMSOL calculate the true current flow in the bulk material. But in 3D you need to get the current "in" and "out" of your volume, while still leaving air/vacuum for the field to loop around. I'm not sure how to do that as a current source cannot appear from nothing in a 3D space, you need a correct "loop"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if its a bulk connector in the chape of a "C" and you travel with a current from the two end points, the easiest is to apply a constant current sorce (terminal type) to one boundary and GND to the other, and leave COMSOL calculate the true current flow in the bulk material. But in 3D you need to get the current "in" and "out" of your volume, while still leaving air/vacuum for the field to loop around. I'm not sure how to do that as a current source cannot appear from nothing in a 3D space, you need a correct "loop" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2012, 3:25 a.m. EST

In the picture it looks like the 'C' has a circular shape. If this is the case, the expression for an external current density is fairly easy.

Cheers
Edgar
In the picture it looks like the 'C' has a circular shape. If this is the case, the expression for an external current density is fairly easy. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2012, 2:01 p.m. EST
Thanks for your reply.

The current density is easy to calculate if the current flow is uniform inside the C shape. But I suspect this is never going to be the shape as current does not flow uniformly in sheets specially with the probe positioned like that. That is the main reason I wanted to find a way for COMSOL to automate the current like Ivar said, but the question is how to do it!

I think the best bet is to find the magnetic field in 2D.

Regards
Thanks for your reply. The current density is easy to calculate if the current flow is uniform inside the C shape. But I suspect this is never going to be the shape as current does not flow uniformly in sheets specially with the probe positioned like that. That is the main reason I wanted to find a way for COMSOL to automate the current like Ivar said, but the question is how to do it! I think the best bet is to find the magnetic field in 2D. Regards

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 17, 2012, 3:48 a.m. EST
Hi!

Maybe this will be a good start for your model:
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/25669/

Ralf
Hi! Maybe this will be a good start for your model: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/25669/ Ralf

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 17, 2012, 12:03 p.m. EST
Thanks Ralf. I will try it and let you know how it goes.
Thanks Ralf. I will try it and let you know how it goes.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.