Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem of contacting crack edges

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,
I am modeling a crack irradiated by laser source, which is represented by heat flux, and try to observe the closure of the crack due to the thermal expansion after the laser irradiation. I can have a very nice thermal expansion when the heat flux is applied in the beginning, but after crack edges touch, they keep moving, and finally "blend". In order to fix this problem, I was suggested to try to set both edges of the crack as "contact pair", however, Comsol reports error:
Error: 6170
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: E
- Geometry: 1
- Boundary: 5
- Variable: pn_cp1_smpn
- Defined as: (E/h)
Failed to evaluate operator Jacobian
- Operator: if

Could someone help me with this problem?
Thanks!!

3 Replies Last Post Feb 17, 2012, 2:32 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 17, 2012, 11:07 a.m. EST
Hi

what is your variable E ? could it be the young modulus ? that is missing somewhere, or a naming conflict ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi what is your variable E ? could it be the young modulus ? that is missing somewhere, or a naming conflict ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 17, 2012, 11:20 a.m. EST
Dear Ivar,
Sorry for making this mistake, this is the error code. The "E" was something I tried, but it didn't work.

Error: 6170
- Variable: auglagiter
- Variable: pn_cp1_smpn
- Defined as: ((E_smpn*min((0.001*(5^auglagiter)),1))/hmin_cp1_smpn)
Failed to evaluate operator Jacobian
- Operator: if

Hope you can answer!
All the best!

Chenyin
Dear Ivar, Sorry for making this mistake, this is the error code. The "E" was something I tried, but it didn't work. Error: 6170 Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: auglagiter - Geometry: 1 - Boundary: 5 Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: pn_cp1_smpn - Defined as: ((E_smpn*min((0.001*(5^auglagiter)),1))/hmin_cp1_smpn) Failed to evaluate operator Jacobian - Operator: if - Geometry: 1 - Boundary: 5 Hope you can answer! All the best! Chenyin

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 17, 2012, 2:32 p.m. EST
Hi

if I remeber right auglagiter is one if the COMOSL internal variables used in the contact definitions. You should check with the doc, as with 3.5 there was a good variable listing with explanations.

When you change too many things in COMSOL it looses sometimes track, then "my way" was to rebuild the model from scratch to be sure to have mainly default internal settings. As if I remember right most contact settings get set up correctly by default with COMSOL, although you can fiddle with them and sometimes help the sover to converge, butthen sometimes its difficult to set ack all the default settings.

Not sure its that helpfl, but there I cannot do much more, havent used 3.5 for a couple of years now ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if I remeber right auglagiter is one if the COMOSL internal variables used in the contact definitions. You should check with the doc, as with 3.5 there was a good variable listing with explanations. When you change too many things in COMSOL it looses sometimes track, then "my way" was to rebuild the model from scratch to be sure to have mainly default internal settings. As if I remember right most contact settings get set up correctly by default with COMSOL, although you can fiddle with them and sometimes help the sover to converge, butthen sometimes its difficult to set ack all the default settings. Not sure its that helpfl, but there I cannot do much more, havent used 3.5 for a couple of years now ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.