Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particle tracing boundary issue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I found strange results when performing Particle Tracing (Comsol 4.2a) simulations.

I use the Laminar Flow module to simulate the flow inside a microchannel and the Particle Tracing module to study the trajectories of spherical particles flowing along the injected liquid. Particles are subjected to drag force and gravity force.

The problem is that particles stop moving when they hit the microchannel boundaries (even with a bounce condition applied) and the only way to make them move (and to make simulations adherent to reality) is to manually set a non-zero slip condition.
It is not a matter or insufficient drag force since I tried to modify the weight of the particles with no improvements.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

1 Reply Last Post Nov 22, 2012, 5:57 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andrea Faenza

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2012, 5:57 a.m. EST
Hi Andrea,

I am encountering the same issue at the moment with the drag force and magnetorphoretic force with particle motion. DId you find a good soution to your problem in the end?

Cheers,

Philip
Hi Andrea, I am encountering the same issue at the moment with the drag force and magnetorphoretic force with particle motion. DId you find a good soution to your problem in the end? Cheers, Philip

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.