Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Data interpolation : Vector plots with uniform vector density

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using COMSOL4.2a to generate data that includes a 2-D vector field. I would like to generate this vector field in Tecplot. Using the COMSOL ASCII file converter, I am able to successfully load the data into Tecplot for each vector component from text files created by COMSOL. I then map both components to the same zone, and the vector plot displays correctly.

Now comes the problem. The mesh in my COMSOL model file is non-uniform; it is very fine in some areas of the domain and fairly coarse in other areas. Tecplot seems to generate one vector for every mesh point. So in the regions where the mesh is very fine, I have a huge density of vectors, and in the other regions there are much fewer vectors. I want a uniform grid, Is there a way to do this, maybe post-process data in Comsol in some way or maybe Matlab has more tools for this particular task?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2 Replies Last Post Mar 12, 2012, 5:01 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2012, 1:09 p.m. EDT
In Results-Export-Data there is an "Output" section where you can specify "Regular grid"
In Results-Export-Data there is an "Output" section where you can specify "Regular grid"

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2012, 5:01 p.m. EDT
Brilliant! Thank you Alexander!
Brilliant! Thank you Alexander!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.