Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

very low value of velocity during natural convection( e-23)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am working for natural convection in a heating cavity which has opening at the top and I have placed it in a air enclosure.My simulation works well I have introduced buyouncy effect also.But the velocity profile is very low like 1.5 e-23 something.Even cavity bottom is at high temperature around 973K.
I am really confused whether my model is correct or it has some error.As most of the natural convection problem i have seen the air velcity is not so low.

Please if some one could guide me I ll be highly thankful

Thank you in Advance

Tassawar

2 Replies Last Post Mar 13, 2012, 6:41 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 13, 2012, 2:36 a.m. EDT
Hi

this could well be a scaling issue, do not forget that binary numbers, with complex formulas as we use in physics mainly has only 6-8 usefull digits so for the same simulation without rescaling one should not expect ratios of the same variable much above 1:1'000'000 (even in double floating numbers)

I f one need more there are ways to stop and restart with a rescaling, or using log() scales but this requires to rewrite most of the equations ;)

I'm not saying you cannot simulate with number < 1E-6 it's just the ratio between smallest and largest values of the same variable. If you are in the 1E-18 to 1E-24 range, you need to rescale your variable by 1E21 or there around. Normally COMSOL does this automatically at solver start (check the log, or ask for a detailed log) but sometimes one must do it also by hand (in the solver dependent variables node). Check the doc on "scaling". This is not a special COMSOL feature (apart that it's easier to access to the scaling than in many other programmes) it's linked to the binary numbers representation and matrix inversion algorithms, pure math number theory ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi this could well be a scaling issue, do not forget that binary numbers, with complex formulas as we use in physics mainly has only 6-8 usefull digits so for the same simulation without rescaling one should not expect ratios of the same variable much above 1:1'000'000 (even in double floating numbers) I f one need more there are ways to stop and restart with a rescaling, or using log() scales but this requires to rewrite most of the equations ;) I'm not saying you cannot simulate with number < 1E-6 it's just the ratio between smallest and largest values of the same variable. If you are in the 1E-18 to 1E-24 range, you need to rescale your variable by 1E21 or there around. Normally COMSOL does this automatically at solver start (check the log, or ask for a detailed log) but sometimes one must do it also by hand (in the solver dependent variables node). Check the doc on "scaling". This is not a special COMSOL feature (apart that it's easier to access to the scaling than in many other programmes) it's linked to the binary numbers representation and matrix inversion algorithms, pure math number theory ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 13, 2012, 6:41 p.m. EDT
Thank you so much :)

Regards,
Tassawar
Thank you so much :) Regards, Tassawar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.