Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer in two layers which sliding in different direction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I am trying to simulate the heat transfer in two relative moving layers. I use Transient Heat Transfer module and ALE moving mesh module, also transient.

The outer layer contains, for example 16 pieces independent units, one of them is a heat source whose Q is changing in Sin shape with time (second). The outer layer is rotating clockwise, and the period is one second.

The inner layer is fixed or rotating in the other direction.

After running the .mph file I found that the boundary is not moving at all, which means, although the heat source is moving away, it always transfers heat with the unit that it is originally contacted. But what I really want is to rotate the units and transfer heat with whatever units the heat source physically contacts.

I am newb in COMSOL, I am not sure if I do this in a reasonable way. So I attached the .mph file to make myself clearer.

Thanks a lot for your time to read this, hope you guys have a very nice day!

Best,

2 Replies Last Post Mar 13, 2012, 5:46 p.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 13, 2012, 4:58 p.m. EDT
Right now heat is transferred to one unit only because they are “connected”. They share a common line even though the nodes move due to moving mesh. You should separate the two edges of each unit either by having a small clearance between them or using Assembly as the final geometry operation instead of Union. Then define a contact pair between the two edges. You can just define two contact boundaries, one for the inner edges of all outer units and one for the outer edges of all inner units. Then define a Pairs->Heat Continuity condition in the Heat Transfer physics to couple the two surfaces. I am not sure if all these capabilities are available in version 3.5a.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Right now heat is transferred to one unit only because they are “connected”. They share a common line even though the nodes move due to moving mesh. You should separate the two edges of each unit either by having a small clearance between them or using Assembly as the final geometry operation instead of Union. Then define a contact pair between the two edges. You can just define two contact boundaries, one for the inner edges of all outer units and one for the outer edges of all inner units. Then define a Pairs->Heat Continuity condition in the Heat Transfer physics to couple the two surfaces. I am not sure if all these capabilities are available in version 3.5a. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 13, 2012, 5:46 p.m. EDT
Dear Nagi,

Thanks a lot for your kind help. You are exactly right, the inner boundaries are stretched but not moving. COMSOL3.5a still think it is one part. I just tried them on 3.5a, it seems do not have the function you mentioned. I will do it on 4.2 see if I can make this right.

Best,
Dear Nagi, Thanks a lot for your kind help. You are exactly right, the inner boundaries are stretched but not moving. COMSOL3.5a still think it is one part. I just tried them on 3.5a, it seems do not have the function you mentioned. I will do it on 4.2 see if I can make this right. Best,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.