Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need some help in meshing, inverted mesh elements warnings

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have an FSI problem, by moving a membrane I would like to see the fluid move.

When I setup the simulation, I've played around with the settings, looked at how other models were setup, but I can't get rid of the 'inverted mesh elements' warnings.

Does anyone have any advice on this model?

2 Replies Last Post May 18, 2012, 12:42 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jaap Verheggen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Daniel Eduardo Araya Luna

Posted: 1 decade ago May 17, 2012, 8:46 p.m. EDT
Hi!!

As far as I know, that warning happens when you are using a coarse mesh (for a particular problem o model) if you use a finer o extremely finer mesh it is probably works,

Have you tried?

I hope it can help you.
Hi!! As far as I know, that warning happens when you are using a coarse mesh (for a particular problem o model) if you use a finer o extremely finer mesh it is probably works, Have you tried? I hope it can help you.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 18, 2012, 12:42 p.m. EDT
Hi

why not use a boundary mash on all no-slip walls ? if you used the default COMSOL fluid mesh I believ it would work, have you tried that (but Im in pached 4.2a could be better implemented than in your older 4.2

furthermore, for a waveform oscillation you shoul impose a strict or intermediate time stepping, the "default automatic/free might start to skip part of your waveform shape

Finally the way you have defined your model there is no fixed point for the pressure, try adding an external point pressure value of 0 Pa (or two)

that was for the "theory" still its not running for me. I then added a stationry solver sequence before the time series and added a Parameter t = 0[s] and I see nothing, so I tweaked the funcions such to have a little load at t=0 still I get a deformation of the structure, but no coupling to the fluid so there must be something funny there in the ALE set-up

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi why not use a boundary mash on all no-slip walls ? if you used the default COMSOL fluid mesh I believ it would work, have you tried that (but Im in pached 4.2a could be better implemented than in your older 4.2 furthermore, for a waveform oscillation you shoul impose a strict or intermediate time stepping, the "default automatic/free might start to skip part of your waveform shape Finally the way you have defined your model there is no fixed point for the pressure, try adding an external point pressure value of 0 Pa (or two) that was for the "theory" still its not running for me. I then added a stationry solver sequence before the time series and added a Parameter t = 0[s] and I see nothing, so I tweaked the funcions such to have a little load at t=0 still I get a deformation of the structure, but no coupling to the fluid so there must be something funny there in the ALE set-up -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.