Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Discontinuous Insulation Condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea how to do what is indicated in the attached? It is exactly what I need to do (form an electrically resistive slit) and it is mentioned like this in all the 4.0a release notes but I cannot find any details on how this is achieved.

For a start I cannot seem to simply draw a line even!?

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction with this one?

Thank you!

5 Replies Last Post Apr 3, 2012, 8:03 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 2, 2012, 10:30 a.m. EDT
Would something like this do what you want?

Cheers
Edgar
Would something like this do what you want? Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 2, 2012, 11:59 a.m. EDT
Thank you Edgar,

Unfortunately I'm still using 4.2 (maybe this is the problem?) and it wont open that file. It's quite a challenge to update it on the cluster I'm using here but I'll give it a go. I'll get back to you in time if I have any success...!

Thank you!

Thank you Edgar, Unfortunately I'm still using 4.2 (maybe this is the problem?) and it wont open that file. It's quite a challenge to update it on the cluster I'm using here but I'll give it a go. I'll get back to you in time if I have any success...! Thank you!

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 3, 2012, 6:34 a.m. EDT
Sadly it looks like the update is going to be a next to impossible task. Would it be possible to take a screenshot of the model builder tree for me to see the structure of how you've created yours?

Thank you so much.
Sadly it looks like the update is going to be a next to impossible task. Would it be possible to take a screenshot of the model builder tree for me to see the structure of how you've created yours? Thank you so much.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 3, 2012, 7:43 a.m. EDT

Here is the screenshot. I assembled those 4 domains, all are copper. This way I could set the internal boundary to insulation. Left and right boundary are set to 1V potential and ground. The other internal boundaries are continuous as default.

Cheers
Edgar

Here is the screenshot. I assembled those 4 domains, all are copper. This way I could set the internal boundary to insulation. Left and right boundary are set to 1V potential and ground. The other internal boundaries are continuous as default. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 3, 2012, 8:03 a.m. EDT
Okay great, thank you!

This will be a good starting point though eventually I'd like to model some random cracking and cavitation in my material so I don't think I'd be able to tessellate very large numbers of shapes in this manner.

I'm currently experimenting with using very large aspect ratio rectangles (100:1) and setting an electrical insulation boundary condition on them. It seems to be functioning though I had hoped that the suggested update in 4.0a would make this easier. I envisage that with the small size and large number of 'cracks' (rectangles) I will eventually run into meshing problems with my rectangle method.

Okay great, thank you! This will be a good starting point though eventually I'd like to model some random cracking and cavitation in my material so I don't think I'd be able to tessellate very large numbers of shapes in this manner. I'm currently experimenting with using very large aspect ratio rectangles (100:1) and setting an electrical insulation boundary condition on them. It seems to be functioning though I had hoped that the suggested update in 4.0a would make this easier. I envisage that with the small size and large number of 'cracks' (rectangles) I will eventually run into meshing problems with my rectangle method.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.